Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The wheels are turning...

It's Day 2 and I'm already having a mental block as far as what "act of kindness" I can do today.  Maybe I'm putting to much pressure on myself or my expectations are too high.  I mean, does it count that I got up at 5:15am this morning to take my husband to the airport? Or do I always have to be doing something that is life changing for strangers?  I work from home so some days I don't even leave house!  Ok, ok.  Let me rethink this.  Kindness is kindness and no matter what it is or who it is for, if it's a selfless act then it counts.  Whew, pressure has already been lifted.

Although I may not accomplish an earth shattering act today, I have recently done some planning to set myself up for future acts of kindness.   The wheels are turning!

First, I contacted the local Community Housing Works (http://www.chworks.org/) to make sure that they are hosting the annual holiday adopt-a-family.  I just received an email back that they are and that I'm on the list to get future updates.  Last year a group of friends & family collectively adopted 3 families and provided them with Christmas gifts and meals- it was one of the most rewarding holidays that I've had in a very long time.  I'm really looking forward to this year and my hope is that we can take on another family or two.  Sadly, there are a lot of families out there in dire need. 

Second, I'm considering joining a friend to help with Meals On Wheels.  The only catch is there's an orientation and I'm going to be traveling for business when the next orientation takes place.  Hopefully, I can attend the one at the end of the month as I would really like to get involved with this great organization.  I learned as a child (when my church group used to sing holiday songs at the homes of elder "shut ins") that there are many people out there who are unable to care or provide for themselves.  Often they are forgotten.

Last, and most near and dear to me is Angels for Hearts (www.angelsforhearts.org). My dear friend and lifelong sorority sister started this amazing philanthropy to help bring joy and happiness to children with heart illnesses.  If you read the story about Kim on the website you will quickly understand why she is truly an inspiration to me. 
The organization is based in Sacramento and with our college roots being in San Diego, I have volunteered to help raise money and/or collect gifts down here.  A West Coast Ambassador of sorts.  If you want to help me, email me or call me.  The more gifts we can collect, the brighter smiles from the kids! 

Well, at least I have some volunteer work in plans. I think I'll give myself an "E" for effort...

No comments:

Post a Comment