Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hello. How Are You?

Ok, I'm going to say it.  Our social skills are taking a nose dive.  Unless you live in a cave without any electronic devices, then my finger is pointing at you too.

With facebook, texting, instant messaging and email we think that we are no longer required to actually speak to another person.  Admittedly, I'm guilty of sending a text or email vs. picking up the phone to speak to someone.  However, I also work all day in complete isolation so when I am around other humans, I can appreciate the simple joy of laughter and conversation.

Today, I decided my "daily act" mission was going to be to interact with strangers.  I had a staff meeting and a couple of errands to run around lunch time so it was the perfect opportunity to put my actions into place.  

Mission #1- a neighbor (whom I don't know) stepped into the elevator wearing a cute designer dress and heels.  Upon her entering the elevator I said, "cute dress".  She returned the compliment with a thank you and even said "have a good day" as she excited the elevator.  I promise, it wasn't a creepy interaction, I was normal and nice and I think she appreciated someone noticing the cute dress that that she probably spent WAY too much for.

Mission #2- while the Rite Aid cashier was ringing me out for TP and Cat Liter, I asked her how her day has been.  She stopped in her tracks, looked up with a smile and said in a tone of surprise and enthusiasm, "Great, it's beautiful outside. Thanks for asking."  

It's highly likely that I'm over analyzing the results of my missions, but please don't rain on my parade.  As I see it, everyone needs a compliment, a hello or a simple acknowledgment from time to time.   I frequently remind myself that you just never know what a stranger may be going through.  By simply being kind and reaching out to someone you may have changed the direction that their day was going. 

And so I leave you with a quote from Uncle Billy, "You attract more bees with honey than vinegar."  Be kind to others... 

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to teach my daughter this very thing. While at Noah's one morning she said, "that girl has pretty eyes." She was not within earshot. I said, "you should tell her, I'm sure she would love to hear that." She kept eating, then we noticed the girl was about to leave. Chloe ran across the store to stay, "Excuse me, you have really pretty eyes."
    I mean, how could that not make a person's day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet. I love that you're teaching her the power of a compliment- good stuff. Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete