Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Cold, Wet Streets...

I awoke this morning to the first good rain in San Diego this Fall.  I love rain.  I love the drops hitting against the window of my office and the feeling of comfort and shelter.  

So, as I rolled out of bed and I turned on the news.  The first segment of the news was this:  http://www.sandiego6.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=856000@xetv.web.entriq.net&navCatId=5

I was immediately struck by the young, pregnant woman in the news segment.  Sadly, she lost her job 3 years ago and has been on the streets ever since with her disabled husband.  I could tell that she didn't want to be on the streets, but was left with no other option.  I was heart broken and immediately asked myself what can I do?  

I may not be able to single-handedly get this couple off the streets, but while our city is dealing with bureaucratic B.S. and stalling the set up of a temporary winter homeless shelter I decided that I can at the very least help keep some people warm.  Over lunch with my husband, I shared the idea of going through our closets and donating old towels, blankets and jackets.  He loved the idea and collectively, we went through closets seeking out old items.  

While it isn't much more than a few blankets, towels and jackets, it's something and I feel a small sense of comfort knowing that I'm doing my part to help some people stay warm this winter.  

If you have items that you can donate too, Google {homeless shelter + the name of your city} and drop 'em off at your local shelter.  If you're in the San Diego area: http://www.sdrescue.org/howtohelp/giftsinkind.php

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Morgan. You might think it's a small gesture, but it will mean a lot to some and most people (myself included) think about doing something like this, but don't actually get off our duffs. I am motivated by you and will make some donations of my own when I get back to SD next week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan. My only hope is to inspire people to pitch in and help.

    ReplyDelete