Monday, December 20, 2010

holiday joy.

I know it's been a while since I've written.  There's really no excuse except for lack of time.  

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, a group of truly amazing friends/family and I ended up adopting 6 families in need this holiday season.  We provided the families with necessities such as shoes, coats and blankets as well as toys, games, books and a complete holiday meal.  It took an army of volunteers to shop, wrap, organize, label, package and deliver, but worth every minute.  So much time was consumed by our efforts that I forgot the most important thing, taking care of myself.  I ended me up in bed with a flu for a few days.  

While I was sick I visited an Acupuncturist in town, Eyton Shalom.  Eyton asked me how I got the flu so I shared the story about our efforts with the adopt-a-families.  He then asked if we personally donate the gifts to the families.  I replied that we prefer not to donate directly so as to prevent the families from feeling any discomfort, besides, it's not about us.  We want the kids and the family to enjoy Christmas in the purest form without feeling like "charity cases".  Eyton then applauded our group by saying something that has stuck in my mind,  
"the true act of charity is giving anonymously".  
He then went on to explain that when charity is done anonymously, there is no room for self gratification.  I agree with him.  Our efforts weren't about us- every ounce of energy we put into it was for helping the families in need.  For me, it was all about bringing joy into homes that may usually be surrounded by stress, struggle and sorrow. 

It's an amazing feeling to volunteer and give 100% of yourself to something/someone else without expecting anything in return.  As I look back on the past few weeks of experiencing the adopt-a-family project, I can't even put into words the joy that I got from it.  People that we didn't even know stepped in to volunteer/donate.  Distant friends and family reached out to help.  Local friends and family took time out of their busy schedules to volunteer their time to help.  And I will never forget the kid in Home Depot who walked up and shook my hand thanking me for our efforts or the cashier at Sears who said, "You guys are great. I wish they had a program like this when I was in the foster care system."  Priceless memories and ones that I will cherish forever.  As I reminisce, I have goosebumps all over from sheer happiness and a full heart.  

I hope you will take a moment this holiday season to think about all of your blessings. 

Happy Holidays.
xoxo
-Morgie

No comments:

Post a Comment