Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Milk Dud Story.

I had a moment last night that I think is worthy of sharing...

The movie theater that I went to makes you purchase your movie ticket at the snack counter.  As I proceeded to the  counter, I noticed that an elder man with a shopping cart full of blankets and newspapers was talking to the theater employee behind the counter.  He was a groomed man, with tattered yet clean clothing on.  I was behind him in line and was curious about what was going on, so I started listening in on his conversation with the employee.
The elder man was asking the employee item-by-item how much each snack item cost.  She would tell him the price of an item, he would then count the change in his pocket and nod his head that the item was too expensive.  He then pointed to some Milk Duds.  The employee told him the price, he agreed that he wanted them and then as he was counting his money, he realized that he was $0.50 short of purchasing them.  Selfishly, I was anxious to buy my ticket and to get my seat so I didn't even notice the opportunity for an act of kindness.  I reached into my purse, pulled out a $1 bill and told the man that I would like to help him pay for his candy.  He was thrilled and offered to pay me the $0.50 change- I declined and told him to keep the change.  At that moment I realized that had done something special for this man.

As he was putting his $0.50 change in his pocket he said to me, "God Bless you."  He then started to walk away without his Milk Duds so I laughed and reminded him to not forget his candy!  As he reached for the candy, he looked at me again and said, "What's your name?"  I told him my name and he then said, "Morgan, I am going to say a prayer for you today."

It was $1 out of my pocket that likely helped feed this man (albeit candy).  I didn't realize the value of my gesture until later in the evening when I reflected on an important fact that I learned at the SD Senior Center volunteer orientation: the one Senior Center on 4th & Beech feeds 750,000 seniors each year and MAJORITY of those senior are homeless simply because they can't afford cost of living.  The next time you see a senior on the street, at the very least say "hello" to them and if you can buy then a coffee or a snack, even better.

xoxo

1 comment: