Sunday, November 21, 2010

LIVE. LIFE.

It's been quite an emotional and fulfilling week.  I'm sad that this is the first opportunity that I've had to write to you to share all of the good things that have been going on- part of me has been too busy to write and part of me has simply been too emotional.
Last Sunday a group of close family and friends participated in the Save A Life Walk to celebrate our dear Cassie's life and to help bring awareness of suicide.  The walk route took us through the beautiful gardens at Balboa Park and it was a beautiful, sunny day- we could feel Cassie there with us. The event was an amazing opportunity to support the many families and friends who have been affected by the loss of a loved one to suicide.  I left the walk feeling a great amount of love and support within my circle of friends and a stronger desire to be available to anyone in need.  A special thanks goes out to Kim Saunders for making beautiful posters and bracelets for "Team Cassie".

Monday night I hosted the Angels For Hearts Silpada Jewelry fundraiser at my house.  I've told you a little bit about my good friend Kim Kaufman in an earlier blog post- she's amazing.  Kim started Angels For Hearts to provide toys for pediatric heart patients all while Kim is facing her own health challenges as a congestive heart patient. When I told Kim about the fundraiser she was so excited that she generously sent us Angels for Hears "swag" (i.e. shopper totes, t-shirts, etc.) to have available to gift to guests at my party.  My friend Lori (whom I hadn't seen since college 14 years ago) was our Silpada expert and a great personal shopper.  What fun we had sipping wine, eating delicious treats and playing "dress up" with endless amounts of beautiful jewelry.  It was a special night that we dedicated to Kim and thanks to the generosity of my amazing friends, we raised over $400 for Angels for Hearts. It was so special to me that my friends donated to this cause without even knowing Kim- I have great friends, really.
 Tuesday, as I was sitting at the airport to depart on my business trip to Dallas, I received a text from Kim.  She explained that she had been put in the hospital on Monday and didn't have the heart to tell me on Monday because "she didn't want to mess up the party."  A rush of emotions took over-  concern, sadness, loneliness and the thought of flying away from where she was was extremely difficult.  Kim was admitted in to the hospital for extreme pain- her heart hurts.  And it breaks my heart to know the pain she's going through. 

In spite of IV's, probing, doctors, nurses, medicines and pain, Kim has texted or called me every day since she's been in the hospital.  We talk about what's going with our days,  what we've eaten (it seems we both have a love for food), she asks me how Louie is doing and she tells me great stories about her family.  During a recent call, Kim told me she loves my blog and she has shared it with many of her friends and family.  I am so honored- I honestly didn't think anyone read my blog.  Since then, we've had great conversations about "kindness" and the other day Kim told me about her own "act" while in the hospital.  An elder patient kept asking for a banana and nobody would get it for her so Kim asked her mom to bring a banana during her next visit to give to her.  The elder woman was so appreciative of the banana- it was all she wanted. Kim's willingness to share an act of kindest all the while being laid up in a hospital bed is truly inspiring.

Kim's love for my blog is now my driving force and this blog will forever be dedicated to Kim.  Almost every time I speak to her she says, "there's a reason I'm still here".  I know the reason- she is teaching many of us to live, love, embrace your friends/family, be kind and do good.

As this week comes to an end and as I reflect back, I can safely say this was a tough, emotional week, but I wouldn't change it for the world.  I have learned so much from so many of you and  the lessons that I've learned have energized me. LIVE. LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment